Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Dance Competitions And Dresses

Some of you already know I do competitive Irish Dance.  Some of you also know the costumes used in competitions are a pain in the behind, with respect to both cost and comfortable-ness.  The skirts are literally cardboard covered in embroidered fabric, so that means one can't sit down on a chair while wearing one, or else the skirt will crumple.  Forever.  As for cost, well, because of the cardboard and the effort it requires to sew it in, those dresses are uber-expensive.  A custom-made one will can cost up to $1000.  A big financial committent.  So we buy our dresses used, but it still means parting with at least a hundred dollars. (Ouch.) Here's what they look like.
Anyway.  I grew four inches over the summer, so my dress, well, let's just say I would be arrested in public for wearing it; it's that short.  So we got a new dress.  Oh, well, that dress was really nice.  Too bad.  :(


And there's a dance competition this weekend I'm going to.  I'm leaving tomorrow.  :)  Maybe I'll come back with lots of metal (those medals are heavy) . . . maybe even a trophy.  That would be fun.  :D
Wish me luck.  ;)  (Even though by the time someone reads this I'll probably be dancing on stage.)

~Billybobjean
P.S. Thanks to Nix for adding me to her blogroll (her blogs are The Word Nebula and The Fountain of Knowledge; check them out!).

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Billybobjean! This is Silver! Welcome to blogging! *adds to blogroll*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Silver!
    Someone has read this before I'm on stage tomorrow! :D :D

    ReplyDelete