Friday, February 24, 2012

There's A Brain On The Ceiling



Yes, you read that correctly.  There is a brain on the ceiling of my house.  A purple brain.  Ah, well, here's a brief explanation:
In June (2011), I got a free science magazine (the publishers were trying to promote it), and the issue was about the brain.  And there was a purple, rubber brain stuffed inside a plastic box glued to the front.
Naturally, before I even opened the magazine (which, incidentally, was the thing that sparked my interest in Phineas Gage), I unceremoniously ripped the plastic box from the cover and pulled the little brain out.  A brain!  A brain just for me!  Imagine that!  (For all of you who don't know, I'm obsessed with brains.  In third grade, my class got to see the teacher slice up some sheep minds [just to clarify, I love animals; you don't want to set a baby chicken in front of me; I'll suffocate it with my hugs], and ever since then I touch a brain every chance I get.  That same June 2011, I got to touch several [human] brains [with plastic gloves on] . . . pictures show me eagerly reaching forward while other students are postively green.  Brains inspired the blog title, actually.)  Anyway, I soon discovered that throwing the brain up onto the ceiling and letting it fall back down after a while made an excellent game to play with my sister.  We never tired of the 'Brain Throw' game for a month.
Then a friend came over.  She quickly warmed the game of brain throwing and we spent almost an hour testing different stretches of ceiling throughout the house.  We finally got to the highest point of ceiling, which is higher than 20 ft.  Sister and I dared Friend to see if she could get the brain to stick to the ceiling.
She did.  But she threw a little too enthusiastically, and it turns out the brain hit the ceiling with its stickiest side.
The brain didn't come down after five minutes.  Or ten.  Or two hours . . .
Or 8 months.

~Billybobjean

2 comments:

  1. *is still cracking up at this story* Whoops.
    Ooh, fellow brain-dissection-lover. And animal lover.
    "A brain! A brain just for me!" HAHAHAHAHAHHHAAAAAA! :-DDD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right? A brain just for me! And now it's on the ceiling. Not very useful up there, but oh well. It's a good tool for scaring friends ("Is that a real brain up there?" "'Course it is. It's a hamster brain." "R-really?"). Every time 'Friend' comes over and sees the brain on the ceiling she collapses into giggles. It is pretty funny looking.

    ReplyDelete