Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Backstory, Part 2

In stark contrast to the cheery article about valiant Hydro Oxy, here is a little snippet of a story about a pathetic girl who's being chased by monsters.  This one is rather short:

I shivered and pulled my torn sweatshirt tighter around my body.  My face, scratched and bloodied from numerous encounters with thorny vegetation, stung as the cold night air hit it like a million needles pricking my cheeks.
The sun was setting, and I still hadn't found an adequate shelter for the night.  My ripped and filthy clothes would hardly provide enough warmth, and sometimes I wondered if I would freeze to death before I was eaten alive by the things that I was fleeing from day and night.  Or maybe I would starve first.  Winter was approaching, and every day the forest plants that made up most of my diet diminished in numbers even more.
Once again, I desperately examined my surroundings, as if I hoped a hiding place would appear out of think air and present itself to me; as if a picnic basket full of warm food would conjure itself out of nowhere.  But of course, I  could only imagine that.  Luck never sided with me these days.  Even hoping was pointless.
Something snapped behind me, and I heard that whisper, that dreaded whisper.  I whirled around, and came face-to-face with one of . . . them.

*closes curtain*  End of episode two, which is just as informative as episode one.  But that's how I get you to read more, eh?
. . . Funny.  Reading what I have so far, I now realize I have unconsciously plagiarized a book, much like Helen Keller and "The Frost Fairies."  Fortunately, though, the book I have plagiarized is not copyrighted, only two chapters of it are written, and the author won't mind.  June has turned into a slightly more morose version of Valentine Marie Smith, the main character (I'm not sure if she qualifies as a heroine) of my book Forever.  One-sentence-summary: Valentine burns down her house accidentally and in doing so torches her family, joins an organization she knows nothing about, finds out said organization likes to kill people, and gets involved in a bunch of family issues she shouldn't get involved in.  In short, Forever is not a story to read if you're looking for laughs.  Or an awesome main character.  None of my books have awesome MCs, actually; all of them have some serious flaws: June is hopeless and pathetic and nosy; Valentine is whiny and despondent and nosy; Kassandra doesn't take life seriously; Alyssa cusses and turns away all signs of affection; Ana is gullible and easily persuaded.  Pretty depressing slew of characters.  Eh.  Writing about awesome people and making them do awesome things is not my specialty.
So, Part 3 (remember how this post was originally for the backstory?) is coming soon, and I apologize for the long ramble in which this post ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment