Thursday, March 15, 2012

Writer's Block and Failed French Conversations

I'm finding that I'm starting to edit while I write.  It's not a good thing.  I just deleted two pages of work because I thought my writing was terrible (who knows, maybe it actually was).  And that's sort of bad, since I entered a writing contest last minute (like I did with NaNoWriMo when I signed up on Oct. 31 with no plot in mind).
But I've found that writing in a notebook and then copying it onto the computer helps keep me from editing as I go along.  Let me rephrase that: waking up in the middle of the night and writing with only a reading light to brighten your room.  It works better if I'm seized by a sudden inspiration in bed.  I find thinking in darkness works wonderfully.  Like so:

(Click to enlarge.)
Okay, that was sort of a fail.  *sigh*  Okay.  Anyway, it works for me.



Now on to failed French conversations.  A dance classmate and I are both taking French, so we were all excited when we found out and decided to have a conversation.  Only thing is . . . we *forgot* we only know names of random objects and random phrases/sentences; we don't know enough to form discernible sentences.  We came this far (translated into English):

Classmate: Hello.
Me: Hello.  How are you?
Classmate: I'm good.  How are you?
Me: Good.
*pause*
Both of us: Uhhhh . . .
Classmate: (English again.)  I would ask you your name, but since I already know it . . .
Me: Yeah.  I was thinking the same thing.
*more silence*
Me: Fail.

Maybe in a few months.

2 comments:

  1. I always end up doing that as well! (Both of the above, actually, but with a very dim book light that I need to get new batteries for and in Spanish instead of French.)
    My Spanglish is lovely. (FYI, the below conversation is essentially what you posted, but in Spanish.)
    Me: Hola! Como estas?
    Person: Bien, y tu?
    Me: Bien.
    *think think think*
    Person: So, about that test

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, my lamp usually doesn't create that much light either (I had trouble accurately representing a reading light, so . . .), but since my eyes are pretty bad, I usually have one, small, BRIGHT circle on the page, and then darkness in the rest of the room.

    LOL. Sudden change of subject and language.

    ReplyDelete