Monday, March 12, 2012

Hydro Oxy

I have a reputation for giving inanimate objects personalities.  Two years ago, our class had to create a wanted poster for an organ.  Here's the example the teacher gave us:


WANTED

[insert drawing of organ in large box here]

Weight:
Dimensions:
Purpose:


Pretty simple, right?  We were given laptops and told to research our organs and fill out the poster.  Most kids did just that.  I . . . wrote the equivalent of a short newspaper article about 'Mr. Kidney Right' and his accomplice 'Mr. Kidney Left.'  I described Mr. Right's crime (spreading [insert random organ disease here]), where he worked (Bloody Filtering Co.), and his exact height and weight.  In his picture, I gave him sunglasses and boots.  I got top grades, but my 'Wanted poster' (more like Wanted Article) became quite well-known.  *sigh*

So last week, I was told to create a project about the water cycle or water preservation.  Several of the project suggestion were just variations of themselves in poster/brochure form.  As usual, I decided to not do a project that was sure to be done by someone else and create my own project (which my teacher didn't mind).  I designed a newspaper clipping on MS Word about Mr. Hydro Oxy.  I printed the second page on the back of the first, to conserve paper AND make it more like a newspaper.  Enjoy!

. . . Oh.  Apparently Blogger won't let me post a Word document as a picture.  And I can't copy and paste the document, since it's made up of a bunch of fancy text boxes and lines.  Does anyone know if you can attach files?  If not, I'll just post the article.  :(  But then you can't see my newspaper format.  Darn.  Eh, I guess you can't have everything in life.

Maybe I'll post the Wanted Article instead in a few hours if I have time to type it up.


EDIT: Okay, I can't seem to find a way to attach/post the newspaper clipping, so here's the article.  Maybe I'll find a way or do a screenshot when I have more time and post that, but for now here's the article:


WORLD RECORD SET

Hydro Oxy, aged (approximately) four billion years, has set the world record for fastest travel through the water cycle; Oxy completed the journey within two days.  We sent Small Nature reporter Moss Bit to find out more:


When I arrive at the home of Mr. Oxy (a cozy, moist water bottle), he immediately leads me to a ridge and sits across from me.
“So,” I ask, “was traveling so fast enjoyable?”
“Absolutely thrilling!” Mr. Oxy replies exuberantly.  “Of course, it was frightening at times, but I would do it over again.”  He pauses, and then adds as an afterthought, “Minus the diary. That thing was a nuisance at the best of times.”
“Hmm.  Then why did you take the diary in the first place?”
“Well, I thought it would be nice to keep a record of the journey I was about to embark upon.  But now that I’ve set the record, no diaries.”


Here is a diary excerpt from Oxy’s journey (photocopied for your convenience):

March 15
Ugh.  Turning into vapor is not fun.  I rather liked that pond, but I guess I couldn’t put off evaporation forever.  And this diary was extremely irksome.  It kept slipping out of my grip (you can’t blame me; I’m not solid!).  But it’s awfully cold up here, and the ink in my pen keeps f f f f


Later
The ink in my pen keeps freezing, as you can see above.  Oh, I’ll be grateful when I get out of this cloud.

            As one can see, the travel was no walk in the park.  Mr. Oxy started in Eagle Pond, and when turned into vapor rose into an altocumulus cloud.  Several hours later, he completed the precipitation stage by pouring out of the cloud and into a lawn.  Traveling through irrigation systems, Mr. Oxy made it back to Small Nature County and told a reporter about his travels.  Being able to procure several witnesses, Mr. Oxy successfully set the world record.  We wish Mr. Oxy luck in his future travels and hope he will be able to find a pen with non-freezable ink.


That actually turned out better than I thought it would.  Yay.

~Billybobjean
P.S. I'm not even sure if I live near an Eagle Pond . . . I'm sure there is one somewhere, but that is just a random name I invented.

4 comments:

  1. BBJ, if you can save it as an image, you should be able to attach it by clicking the tree pic button, etc. If not, you can also try browsing the web for a free screen capture program. Those programs allow you to drag your mouse across the screen and take a picture of everything underneath your drag. I use one called grab, and there's one called Talon on Aviary.

    I love the Mr. Right idea, and I'd love to see both of those articles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm . . . I saved it as a pic and then tried uploading it using the 'Insert Picture' thingie, and it still didn't work. *sigh* Maybe I'll just copy/paste the text of the article and . . . yeah. Okay. Let me do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome! I love how you're imagination comes up with cheery little articles about pens freezing, and still have time to create young serial killers! XD

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL... I never thought of it that way.
    Some friends DID seem a bit surprised when they asked about my other writing projects... I guess I'm just adaptable. :P

    ReplyDelete